Thursday, January 1, 2015

balsamic chicken w/ bacon

Day one of whole 30 Dinner.  WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER ;]

I read that you shouldn't eat a lot of bacon on whole30. It summed up to less than a piece on the plate =]

First off I put a bunch of sweet potatoes in the oven at 200c so they could bake for 45 minutes. I also put the bacon on a rack over a pan and baked that at the same time. I took it out when it was crispy. Just how I like it.
 I took out frozen chicken thighs. (we would buy fresh but they don't have much of a selection for fresh chicken at the commissary. Also the chicken they do have is almost as expensive as the premium steaks). So I put the frozen chicken thighs directly on my grill pan and cooked them about 10 minutes each side. I seasoned with s&P and balsamic vinegar. The great thing about the grill pan is you don't have to use anything to grease it. Once the chicken was a little more than halfway done I put some of the bacon grease in my cast iron pan and some coconut oil. Seems weird but the bacon grease wasn't enough to cook the vegetables. Red peppers, celery, and onions. I put the cooked bacon on top. Note: Don't stir it around. The bacon likes to stick to the bottom of the pan if you do that.  After the 20 minutes I put the chicken in with the peppers and onions for another 10 minutes. I cooked a frozen veggie blend for the vegetable. Also we eat A LOT of chicken in our house. Like every single day we have it for either lunch or dinner. I bought the chicken thighs for some meals because they were like $2 cheaper. We will save about $15 every two weeks by getting the thighs instead of tenderloins or breasts. Now that's only two days of chicken. We mainly eat tenderloins because they cook fast and are always juicy =]



No comments:

Post a Comment